Now Hiring Part-Time Plant Operator
The Glenbard Wastewater Authority (GWA) is recruiting for one (1) part-time, entry level Plant Operator. Duties include, but are not limited to; plant operational duties; operator services at the GWA treatment facility and storm water treatment plant; light maintenance work as needed; and responsive, courteous and efficient service to the residents of the Villages of Lombard and Glen Ellyn and the general public.
• Observe variations in operating conditions and interpret meter readings, gauge readings, and test results to determine process requirements and adjustments.
• Adjust feed rates of chemicals used in conditioning sludge to provide optimum production.
• Locate sources of trouble, diagnose trouble conditions, and report malfunction to Operations team member on call.
• Use process control computer for monitoring and responding to alarms.
• Maintain records and make written observations in daily logbook.
• Availability to perform functions solely on weekends and/or holidays.
• Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Knowledge of wastewater treatment processes is a plus, but not required.
• Possess a general knowledge of mechanical equipment, and demonstrate the ability to effectively interpret and carry out a variety of instructions related to wastewater plant maintenance and operation.
• A valid Illinois driver’s license
• A class A CDL license is preferred, or the ability complete in-house CDL training within 12 months of hire.
The Authority is seeking a qualified candidate who will able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Qualified applicants will have the ability to utilize computer systems for monitoring and responding to alarms. Candidates must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations and be able to demonstrate the ability to operate various types of equipment, including, but not limited to, standard office equipment and computers.
Protecting the Environment for Tomorrow
Candidates will be able to comprehend, retain, and apply the Authority’s rules and procedure manuals, including any pertinent Federal, State, or local laws.
The physical duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, climbing stairs/ladders, reaching, walking, heavy lifting and/or moving (up to 50 lbs. occasionally), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, typing on keyboard, seeing/observing, pushing/pulling, and various repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Must be willing to work in malodorous conditions associated with a wastewater treatment facility.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position works weekends and holidays, or outside normal business hours; between 16 – 64 hours per month (depending on availability), with flexible start times and hours between 6:30 am to 5:30 pm. Shifts are generally 4 hours or 8 hours per shift.
The starting pay offered for this part-time position is $22.43/hr but may be adjusted depending on qualifications. This position is non-exempt under FLSA, with no fringe benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter email@example.com. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
2. Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #25-23 GWA PT Plant Operator) in the subject line of their e-mail.
3. The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer medical physical with a drug screen.
4. The position is open until filled. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE GLENBARD WASTEWATER AUTHORITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
or click here to apply directly.
The Glenbard Wastewater Authority located in Glen Ellyn, Illinois is an agency formed in 1977 between the Villages of Lombard and Glen Ellyn via an intergovernmental agreement. Its mission is to operate and maintain municipal wastewater treatment facilities, protect public health, and protect the environment, for approximately 109,000 residents and businesses in the Lombard, Glen Ellyn, Valley View/Butterfield and Glen Ellyn Heights service areas.
The day-to-day operation of the facilities is overseen by the Authority’s Executive Director who is appointed and approved by the Executive Oversight Committee. A budget allotment of 18.8 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) highly qualified individuals are employed with the Authority, which operates 24 x 7.
Seventeen employees work full-time, while another five work part-time to cover weekends and Holidays. Eleven employees are certified by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in wastewater treatment operations, and seven of those eleven employees hold Class I Operator certificates, the highest certification possible within the State of Illinois.
Phone: (630) 790.1901
Fax: (630) 858.8119
Monday – Friday
7:00a.m. – 3:30p.m
Sign up for our mailing list to get our latest news & events!
© 2023 Glenbard Wastewater Authority - Glen Ellyn, IL.